Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Pulchritude of Supernatural

My experience with Supernatural somewhat mirrors my experience with the Vampire Diaries. Unlike the other though, I never even bothered to sit down to watch Supernatural until after the conclusion of the 4th season. I had seen shorts for it, and despite my incline towards shows with a supernatural element the idea of the show never really appealed for me. The other reason, which I'm slightly more ashamed to add, is that I am not good with horror movies. An overactive imagination as a child meant that the idea of ghosts particularly scared me witless. So I happily left it be, even though I was tempted once again, having seen Jensen Ackles portraying Dean Winchester.
Monster Movie...complete with Dracula and Dean in lederhosen 
At this point, I feel that it is relevant to once again credit my first experience of Supernatural to Scarlett. After all she pointed me in the right direction, insisting that I give the show a chance. I'm never quite sure why I'm so easily convinced by Scarlett when she says such things, but I'm obviously easily swayed by her recommendations. So much so that I sat down to the Pilot and never looked back. 3 weeks later and I had successfully finished all four seasons, and was now conclusively hooked.

Unlike the Vampire Diaries with its sybaritism, Supernatural won me over in other ways. Though again the enhanced contrast present in the lighting of the show reminded me of the visual nature of the Vampire Diaries. It was other aspects though, such as the grittier feel, which was refreshing in a show like this compared to the more lighthearted nature of Buffy, the Impala, and the wonderful array of guest stars that graced our screen. I was also pleased to see that although there were times when I was scared by the show; ghosts, always the worst; I revelled in the horror of it. It was scary but not enough that it would dissuade me from the show itself. More importantly there were comedic aspects to the horror which I appreciated. The fact that Supernatural wasn't always so serious was refreshing.

I am, however, the first to admit it isn't perfect though. As much as I have enjoyed it, I find the lack of strong female characters affronting and the storytelling isn't consistent, some episodes are fantastic, some almost painful to watch. Each show has it's own pitfalls though, and I was happy to succumb to these for the overall product I was presented with.
Castiel...the Holy Tax Accountant
Obviously though I had enjoyed it, and very much so. Unlike Vampire Diaries though my love of it was much easier to pinpoint. I came back every episode to see the relationship that existed between Sam and Dean. Admittedly I understand that the relationship that's depicted is not necessarily the relationship that exists between siblings, though I have no siblings of my own to compare it to. I know from experience, admittedly not always my own, that siblings are not necessarily obliged to be so dependant on one another, and it is easy to drift apart without much consideration.

That's perhaps why I admire it so. I mean my own feelings towards family are often dismal at best. I realise that I do love them, but I often find them aggravating, annoying and some of them I would rather never have anything to do with again. My family truly epitomises Bobby's comment that 'family are supposed to make you miserable', and they do that far more often than I'd like.

Sam and Dean on the other hand, sure they fight, they have different views of the world, but at the end of the day, nothing is more important than the other person. And I envy that. Their relationship has the emotive energy to both make you laugh and cry at the same time. The sacrifices that are made are heartbreaking to watch. Every tear they shed you share with them because you're at a loss to do anything else. Without Sam and Dean, Supernatural would be much less than the show it is today.

I mean sure it would be fun to live in this world where you can ride off into the sunset in a ridiculously cool car. To battle against good and evil, angels and demons. To be generally badass and kinda stupid all at the same time. But most of all I'd want to exist in this world if nothing more than to have someone that meant as much to me as Sam and Dean mean to each other.

After all the first rule of Supernatural is; without Sam and Dean there is no Supernatural. 

No comments:

Post a Comment