Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Felicity of Modern Storytelling

In spite of my academic nature, I have found myself as I get older, revelling in the simple joys that life brings my way. I no longer yearn constantly for the intellectual challenge that I used to, because I have now filled my days with same. I work in an environment which tests my mental acuity, and I am now fortunate enough to be surrounded by people who share my love of same.
In response to this though, I have found that enjoyment does not always stem from an academic pursuit. After a day of work, I find that I long for nothing more that something that excites me, rather than tests me. In regards to this the wonders of modern storytelling have come to light. Despite my love of the written word, a lot of my leisure time is absorbed by the visual.
This love of visual I shall claim is harkened back to my love of art, and my generally visual nature, but that it rather supercilious of me, when I know the answer is far more simple. I just enjoy it. I have several TV shows that I am a devoted follower of. I am not restricted in my likes to a specific genre or particular formula, but rather each appeals to me in their own ways.
Despite this though, I have found myself ever more critical of the shows I watch. The more I have invested in them, the better I expect them to be. I have also a large amount of displaced loyalty to certain characters within them, and I sometimes find myself abhorring a particular story line because I feel that these characters are not given the poetic justice that they deserve.
I often consider these an indulgence, a consistent game of 'what if'. I live a calculated life, and I revel in those that don't. Thus my love of the extravagance that has become modern storytelling.
Shi Seiran, Saiunkoku Monogatari, an anime which
epitomises the extravagance of storytelling

No comments:

Post a Comment