Monday, September 27, 2010

The Bourgeois of the Dorchester

One of my greatest pleasures in this world is High Tea, or if you're in the United Kingdom, Afternoon Tea. It is an experience that I have only in my adult life that been privileged to. Though there was the notable exception of my 12th Birthday, when my parents decided to take me to the Dorchester while we were in London.
The setting for Afternoon Tea at the Dorchester
Despite the experience of my 12th Birthday, I only became an connnoiseur of same upon reaching adulthood. I began to search for what truly was the most opulent experience I could find. I rated places on their atmosphere, their decorations, their furniture, their service, their champagne, their sandwiches, their cakes, their scones and most important of all their tea. I preferred the more traditional services to openly avant garde versions of same. I tried hotels all over the world, from Sydney to Paris, Shanghai to New York, all in an attempt to find something that could truly encompass the Bourgeois nature that I always associated with the spectacle of High Tea. 
My sanctuary...complete with Rolls out front   
In the end, my search always brought me back to the Dorchester. Some places I had found were slightly more innovative in their design, cakes or sandwiches. None other had the same atmosphere of the Dorchester though. The serving staff in tuxedos, overly polite to their patrons, which I enjoyed. Despite my bourgeois nature, I despise the supercilious nature of some serving staff. I do not expect to be treated like a plebian when I obviously have enough money to be frequenting the establishment. 
The Promenade of the Dorchester where Afternoon Tea
is served
The Dorchester also holds some fond memories for me. Since my 12th Birthday, I have seen the last 3 consecutive birthdays within its walls. Now I make it almost an annual event to make sure that I am in London to celebrate the event. Not only that though, but I was fortunate enough to be the person who introduced Scarlett to the wonder of it all. Indeed, in the time we both lived within the United Kingdom we found ourselves at the Dorchester 2 times, once on a whim, and the other planned weeks in advance. Indeed now, we already have plans for 2012, once we're both more settled to stay at the Dorchester, to continue our adventures in London. 

To this day I can think of very few experiences that I enjoy more than High Tea, and especially one at the Dorchester, so my only response is this. If you haven't been yet, to enjoy the bourgeois nature of same, what's stopping you now? 


No comments:

Post a Comment