Monday, October 18, 2010

The Vacillation of Choice

Choice is one of those amazing things that is both remarkably easy and yet so tremendously difficult at the same time. Admittedly this is because choice can transmogrify itself from something harmless, say a puppy, to a fire breathing dragon, with seemingly little effort. This ability is why so many people vacillate over such things all their life without ever making a decision about anything. 
I consider myself a seemingly decisive person. Someone offers me something I want, I usually accept with little thought (strangers with candy a notable exception, well as long as they didn't look like Dean Winchester). After all, if it's something I want, I've already given some serious thought as to why I might want something.

Who can say no to that face?

Which is why at the moment I find myself so frustrated with several people around me. Admittedly one particularly has thrown me head first into this rant. Offered an opportunity of a lifetime and willing to shrug it off because it's outside what they know. I mean I know sometimes the thought of making such a drastic change is unnerving, I should know, I've made several of them in my lifetime. I've moved halfway round the world and back again to try and make of the most of them. It is terrifying. I won't lie. But I won't say that I didn't enjoy every minute of it. Even the bad ones. After all this is what we're here for to make the most of what we're given. 

Doctor Who would cease to exist if everyone was so rational....
I know there are good reasons to give some consideration to these big decisions, I mean there's the big one, money, not to mention all the other convenient ones, family, home, ability, but it is not the same if you keep making excuses. After a while you realise that all your life has ever consisted of are the excuses that you keep making to yourself and you have nothing else to show for your existence.

Life does not wait for you to gain the confidence to do these things. Confidence is nothing more than the face to put on to face the world. The opportunity you are given however will eventually pass you by and you'll be another one of those people who would've, should've, could've, without doing any of the things they've always been threatening to do. Personally in my opinion, there is nothing more pitiable. Who in their right mind would choose an unremarkable existence over the promise of something brilliant? 

Would you choose Wal-Mart over this?
So without further ado, I shall conclude by saying, I pity the people who are afraid to move past the vacillation that these choices bring them, for they are doomed to an existence of mediocrity, and personally there is nothing worse in my mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment