Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Nonpareil of Macarons

As part of my final year at school, we studied Ibsen's play, 'A Doll's House' (or 'A Doll House' I'm never quite sure which it is). My wonderful English teacher decided that each lesson we were reading through the play that people would take the roles of the main players, and rotate through until everyone had had a chance to read at least one part during this time. I was fortunate enough to be given to be given Nora in the final scene of the play.

I had admired Ibsen's egalitarian perspective in all of this, although he's credited often with being a feminist I don't think that's entirely accurate. He was merely humanitarian enough to realise that everyone should be treated equal regardless of their sex. He wasn't pro-women's rights as such, this was just the man he was. As a result, I found myself identifying with Nora in that final scene. As she stands in front of Torvald and watches her dreams of their life shatter before her.

The cover page of 'A Doll's House'
I know this seems highly irrelevant to the subjects of macarons (or macaroons if you're so inclined), but this is the starting point for my experience with them, Before this stage I have no great interest in macarons, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure before this I could have even told you what they were. As I grew up in a household that never had such things, they were not something I knew in my vernacular. After 'A Doll's House' I made sure that one day I would try them.

I wanted to try them, because of my empathy for Nora. She had tried to do the right thing, over and over, only to have everyone turn their backs on her. As for Torvald, he regarded her as very little more than the children they shared. She had no equal relationship in their marriage. This was evident in his decree that she should not be allowed to have macarons, despite her love of same. Her secret stash of them made me want to try them for the first time in my life. To see if her affection for same was truly warranted.

A rainbow symphony of Laduree macarons
Since then I have made it a mission of mine every time I am in Paris, to indulge in these small treats. To seek out the best macaronier that Paris has to offer. I've tried a multitude of different flavours, from date and fig to caramelised hummus to pistachio (my favourite). I've been to Laduree, Jean-Paul Hevin, Dallyou and some lesser known patissieres all in the search for the perfect macaron.

After all a perfect macaron is hard to come by. It should be crisp on the outside, gooey in the middle, and the cream should be smooth as it glides over your tongue. The flavours should be distinct and fragrant at the same time. It should be so wonderful that one macaron should be savoured for as long as you can manage. A perfect macaron should be forsaken for nothing.

Each one...perfect it it's own right
I love macarons that are interesting. Despite my love of the classics, as mentioned I can never go past the nonpareil of a pistachio macaron, I revel in the interesting flavours that I have been presented with. I found delight in a blueberry and lavender macaron, fire in a rose and mandarin one, home in a date and fig one, and much to my chagrin disgust in the caramelised hummus one.

After all for me, that is why macarons are so unique. They can take on all sorts of different complexities, they can be both sweet and savoury, classic and modern, they're a truly versatile commodity. For me, they are also a rare commodity. I seek them out only a few times a year to preserve their wonder for me. I travel halfway round the world to revel in them.

Some of the more interesting macarons
that are on offer
So I offer a heartfelt thanks to Nora and Ibsen for their introduction into the world of the macaron. It is truly worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment